Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Did you know


Working with tenants is an experience and can be trying to say the least. Now you may think that it is trying because of the tenants but I am not talking about the tenants. In this particular article I am talking about the landlord that is renting to the tenant. This tenant want to move into a house that we handle and their existing landlord is being difficult to say the least.


When a tenant puts in an application with Mountain Manager we then begin to process the application. We run a credit and background check. We verify the income by asking for a current pay stub. We verify that the tenant is still working at their existing job by calling the employer. We will call their previous landlord to verify that they have paid their rent on time. They did not abuse the property and they had no NSF or late fees.


We also do this with the existing landlord. The previous landlord will tell the truth but the existing landlord may not. They may tell you they are great tenants because they want them to move.


We want to make sure that what has been written on the application is true and accurate. This is not always an easy thing to do but we do try hard.


Today I experienced something that is just so unbelievable, it may be too hard to believe.


Here is the story. A prospect tenant submits an application. We run the credit and background check. It was good. We verify employment with a current pay stub and call the employer. Verified. We call former landlord. Also good. Now we need to call existing landlord.


This particular landlord requires that we mail the verification form to them. They would not do it over the phone. Ok, I understand. They don’t know who we are and need to make sure they do not give out information to the wrong people.They would not allow it to be faxed. So I asked if I brought the form to their house, would they fill it out.

The wife said her husband had to fill out the form. So I asked, “What time do you expect him to be home?”. She said, “He should be home between 5 and 6.


I planned my visit so I would arrive at their home by 6pm. When I arrived, I rang the the doorbell and “Mr. Smith” came to the door. I introduced myself and explained why I was there. I gave him the form that needed to be filled out. I also showed him the permission form from the tenant that gave him permission to fill out the verification form.


He then said, “ Do you have a copy of the permission form?” I said, “No, I do not.” With that he began to close the door and I said, “There is no reason to act like this. If you want a copy, can you not make a copy?” Then the door closed. It closed quietly but what an insult. I can not explain the anger I felt when he closed the door in my face.

I then went to a convenient store close by and purchased gas. While there asked if they had a copy machine. They did. I then said, “ I will be more than happy to pay for the copy, How much is it?” I love living in this fabulous area! They did not charge me. There are so many wonderful people here that are just plain NICE. It is so refreshing.


Not the case with Mr Smith. Now back in the car and off I go to his house again. Once there, I ring the doorbell again. No one comes. Wait and wait. I ring the doorbell again. Then a management decision is made. I get in my car and say to myself, “Prospective tenant, you now are approved:”


Aa I am driving away, the wife comes to the door.


The prospective tenant is called. She is told the following: You are approved. You need to move as soon as possible. No one needs to be subject to a person like this landlord that I just met. If you did not pay your rent on time, you will with Mountain Manager. If you did not take care of the place, you will with Mountain Manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment